Tuesday 21 May 2013

Dumso-Dumso (Lights off/Lights on)/ When in [Ghana]...do as [Ghanaians] do

5.21.13

For the past 6-8 months, Ghana as a whole has been experiencing electrical difficulties.  Fortunately, I have not had to experience too much of it since I've been here up until recently.  At home, sometimes the water shuts off in the middle of a shower, so I have learned to become much more efficient with the time I spend in the bathroom.

The food here is amazing!  Everything is fresh and you can eat once a day and be okay.  The Ghanaian diet is very heavy on carbohydrates.  Ghanaians mostly eat rice, plantain, fufu (cassava), yam, banku (blended cassava and corn dough), and different stews and soups.  Eating with your hands is not an uncommon practice here.
Fried plantain and beans
Waakye
Making fufu!!

Eating with my hands



If you ever plan on visiting Ghana in the future, don't be afraid of not being able to eat foods that you are used to!  This past weekend, one of my friends celebrated her birthday and we went for breakfast at one of Ghana's finest hotels, Golden Tulip.  I had the "traditional" American breakfast:  eggs, bacon, and potatoes. and I felt like I was at home.


My American Breakfast :)



Inside of the hotel Golden Tulip
Breakfast birthday celebration with the girls 

You can find almost anything they have in America here in Ghana, but the local foods are amazing and worth trying.





1 comment: