Friday 17 May 2013

Week 2 Wrap Up

5.17.13
In the US, pharmacists in a retail setting are responsible for counseling patients about their medications and making recommendations about over the counter products--this is not the case in Ghana.  Pharmacists also diagnose patients here when they come into the pharmacy.  Earlier this week, a man came in to the pharmacy complaining that his ear had been bothering him for a few days.  I asked him if he had tried anything for it and he replied no.  He said that he'd had this problem before and was given a particular antibiotic for it but he couldn't remember the name.  I didn't feel comfortable trying to recommend something to him because I felt that he needed to go see his doctor before I could do anything about it so I sent him over to talk to my preceptor about the issue.

Another patient came into the pharmacy yesterday complaining of a bump that had just formed on her neck.  For all I know, it could have been a pimple.  After the patient talked with my preceptor, he gave her an antibiotic to treat the "bump."  I spoke with my preceptor about why he gave her an antibiotic when the patient came in about her bump and he explained to me that pharmacists are usually the first point of contact for patients.  They would rather see a pharmacist before they make an appointment to go and see a doctor.

These two interactions have really helped me to understand the roles of doctors and pharmacists as well as the importance of interprofessionalism.  Doctors are responsible for diagnosing patients, whereas pharmacists are responsible for making recommendations about medications based on the diagnosis provided by the doctor.

I'm finally getting used to life around here.  Everyday is busy with people filled in the streets and selling anything you can think of.  Time is flying by quickly, but I will continue to make the most out of the time that I have left.





No comments:

Post a Comment