Wednesday 29 May 2013

Week 4 Highs and Lows

5.29.13
This week is going really well so far. I got to counsel a few patients today.  A woman came in to the pharmacy with a prescription for birth control pills so I was able to counsel her on the use of her pills.  A man also came in with a prescription for some medications for his pregnant wife so I instructed him on how she should take the medications as well.

Dewormers are a common medication that people come in to the pharmacy for on a daily basis; however, there has been a recent shortage of them.

I had a really sad moment in the pharmacy today.  A woman came in with a 12 year old girl complaining that the girl was very pale and seemed very ill.  The woman said that she usually buys eggs from the girl and was really concerned about her so she brought her in to the pharmacy to see if there was anything we could give her.  She didn't know the girl's name or if she had any family but she was really worried about her.  We asked the girl if she had eaten today and she said yes, but seemed really confused when we asked her more questions.  The lady begged for us to give the girl something with the little money she had and the pharmacist gave her an appetite stimulant.  The lady thanked us and made the girl drink some of the appetite stimulant right away.  It was really sad because the girl did look really sick and she did not really have enough money to buy some medication.  But I am glad we were able to give her something.

Time is winding down and soon it'll be time for me to leave.  I really wish I could stay longer because I'm definitely getting used to life around here....can you tell? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment